Men’s Basketball Loses Overtime Game at Southeastern (Fla.)

Men’s Basketball Loses Overtime Game at Southeastern (Fla.)

Lakeland, Fla. - The Franklin College men's basketball team suffered its first loss of the season in a 107-97 overtime game at Southeastern University (Fla.) on Monday evening. The game was the first of two contests for the team in Florida this week.

The Grizzlies (3-1) have now played three overtime games in the first four contests.

Trailing 90-85 with 2:57 left in regulation, the visitors forced the extra session by holding Southeastern scoreless for the rest of second half. Consecutive jumpers by sophomores Trae Washington (Bloomington, Ind./Bloomington South) and Dion Smith (Indianapolis, Ind./Franklin Central) tied the game at 90-90 with 1:12 left.

Following a Southeastern turnover with 25 seconds remaining, the Grizzlies were unable to get a shot off in its chance to win the game in regulation.

In overtime, Franklin led 94-92 after a Smith layup. The Fire then went on an 11-0 run over a three-minute stretch to take a 103-94 lead. Senior Bailey Howard (Nashville, Ind./Brown County) connected on a three pointer to cut the deficit to 103-97 with 28 seconds remaining. Southeastern made four free throws in the closing seconds to secure the victory.

Howard led the Grizzlies with 27 points and made 10 of his 15 shots. The senior guard made four of his six three-point field goal attempts.

Smith recorded his second straight double-double with 18 points and 10 rebounds. Senior Troy Porter (Frankfort, Ind./Frankfort) and Washington each added 12 points.

Southeastern's Dwayne Johnson had a game-high 35 points, while Timothy Mitchell had 24 points and Brandon Moore added 22 points.

Franklin will conclude its Florida trip with a match up against NCAA Division II Eckerd College on Tuesday, November 26 at 7:30 p.m. from St. Petersburg, Fla. Live video of the game will be available at In-game updates will also be available on Twitter (@FCAthletics) and on Facebook (